Much better made in advance and served cold this dish is perfect to bring along as an edition to a friends party or to make at the beginning of the week and work through it for lunches all week long!
Ingredients (Serves 4)
-Brown rice (350-400g)
-Spring onion (3, chopped)
-Carrots (2, grated)
-Capers (1 handful)
-Beetroot (3, small)
-Pumpkin seeds (3 handfuls)
-Whole grain mustard (2 teaspoons)
-Extra virgin olive oil
Method (40 mins + time to cool in the fridge)
- Bring the rice to the boil in salty water (boil vigorously for 5 mins then simmer for 20-25).
- Chop the broccoli into small chunks and ‘ribbon’ the courgettes.
- Boil the broccoli for 10 mins and the courgette ribbons for 3-5 and set aside.
- When the rice is cooked mix it with the courgettes and broccoli in a large dish (A lasagne dish works well).
- Add the capers, spring onion, carrots, lemon and mix in the mustard, a dash of olive oil and balsamic vinegar, season with salt and pepper and mix.
- Grate the beetroot for the topping, this can start to look a bit like a violent crime scene so do it into a large plate/bowl.
- Toast the pumpkin seeds in a pan with no oil and a generous sprinkling of salt until slightly brown (keep a close eye on them as they can start to burn very quickly).
- Top the salad with the beetroot and pumpkin seeds, allow it to stand for 10 mins and refrigerate for around half an hour. Don’t leave the rice hanging around outside the fridge for too long as rice contains bacteria that can cause food poisoning which can develop if it is left standing for too long or not reheated properly.